I meant to go to yoga class today. I really did, honestly. I even got on my bike. I pedaled. I biked all the way down to the edge of campus… And then there it was: my new favorite clothes shop. While I’d like to say I kept on furiously pedaling on my way to Vinyasa, that would be a lie. And ask anyone, I’m a terrible liar. So I did a little shoppy shoppy, got a little orange dress (ironic, since it goes all the way down to the floor) and then went back to my bike. I missed my yoga class. Whoops. So I went back home, and had lunch. Because lunch, yoga, what’s the difference really, right?
And then – the magic! I’ve always loved experimenting with recipes. You should ask my parents about my early culinary adventures. I was 5, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing (do I now even? Debatable), and I threw together anything that looked appealing. In other words, I made my parents “cakes” made out of flour, eggs, cheese, chocolate, food coloring, sprinkles, mushrooms, and black pepper. And they ate it! God bless ’em. But last night – oh last night was great. I found my (actual, edible, delicious) recipes – including one of my all-time favorite (healthy!!) banana muffin recipes. It’s fabulous – and can easily be spiced up with a thick frosting to make cupcakes! And who doesn’t love cupcakes.
Spiced banana honey muffins
Yield: 12 self-contained pieces of heaven. Oh I mean muffins. 12 muffins.
- 2 1/2 bananas
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. coffee grinds
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ground cloves, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin foils.
- Mix wet ingredients (bananas, honey, egg whites, egg, milk, vanilla extract) together in a bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients (everything else..) in a separate bowl until well combined.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into muffin foils and bake for 30-35 minutes until cooked through and golden in color.
- If you wanna be all fancy, grab an extra banana and slice it diagonally (like in the photo) and place a banana slice on top of the muffin halfway through baking.
- Eat! Enjoy! Be happy!